(born on August 30, 1972 in San Diego,
California) is an American actress and former fashion model.
Cameron's Cuban-American father Emilio Diaz worked as a
foreman for an oil company, and her mother Billie Early (whose
ancestry includes Italian, German, and Native American) worked
as an exporting agent.
Cameron Diaz attended Long Beach Polytechnic High School.
At age 16, Diaz began her career as a fashion model. Diaz signed
with top modeling agency, Elite Model Management. After
graduating high school, she went to work in Japan and met video
director Carlo de la Torre. On her return to America, she moved
in with him. For the next few years, Cameron's modeling took her
around the world, working for contracts with major companies.
At the age of 21, Cameron Diaz auditioned for Jim Carrey's The
Mask. To her own surprise, and with no previous acting
experience, she was cast as the female lead. Immediately after
getting the part, she signed up for acting lessons.
Over the next three years, Cameron Diaz won roles in low-budget,
independent films, such as The Last Supper, Feeling Minnesota,
and She's The One.
Cameron Diaz then regained mainstream success with My Best
Friend's Wedding and There's Something About Mary, and won
critical acclaim for Being John Malkovich, which earned her Best
Supporting Actress nominations at the Golden Globes, the BAFTA
Awards and the SAG Awards.
Cameron Diaz has also starred in the hit adaptation of Charlie's
Angels and its sequel, and she voiced a lead character in Shrek
and its sequel, for which she earned $10 million. In 2001, she
won nominations for Best Supporting Actress at the Golden
Globes, the SAG Awards and the AFI Awards for Vanilla Sky. For
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, she became the second actress
(after Julia Roberts)
to earn $20 million for a role; the film underperformed at the
Future work for Diaz include roles in Nancy Meyers' The Holiday
in 2006 and Shrek The Third in 2007.
Cameron Diaz has been dating singer and former *NSYNC's
since they met around 3 1/2 years ago at the Kids' Choice
Awards. In October 2004, they were in an altercation with a
tabloid photographer outside a hotel. When the photographer and
another man tried to photograph the couple, the celebrities
snatched the camera. Pictures of the incident appeared in Us
Weekly. Representatives for the couple claimed that they were
"ambushed" and acting out of self-defense.
- 2008 A Little Game Without Consequence
- 2007 Shrek the Third - Fiona voice
- 2006 In Search of Ted - Demme Documentary
- 2006 The Holiday - Amanda
- 2005 In Her Shoes - Maggie Feller
- 2004 Shrek 2 Fiona - Voice
- 2003 Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle - Natalie Cook
- 2003 Shrek 4-D - Fiona Voice; short subject
- 2002 Gangs of New York - Jenny Everdeane
- 2002 Minority Report - Uncredited as woman on train /
- 2002 The Sweetest Thing - Christina Walters
- 2002 Slackers - cameo
- 2001 Vanilla Sky Julianna - 'Julie' Gianni
- 2001 Shrek Fiona - Voice
- 2001 The Invisible Circus - Faith
- 2000 Welcome to Hollywood Documentary
- 2000 Charlie's Angels - Natalie Cook
- 2000 Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her - Carol
- 1999 Any Given Sunday - Christina Pagniacci
- 1999 Being John Malkovich - Lotte Schwartz
- 1999 Man Woman Film - Random Celebrity
- 1998 Very Bad Things - Laura Garrety
- 1998 There's Something About Mary - Mary Jensen
- 1998 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Blonde - TV Reporter
- 1997 A Life Less Ordinary - Celine Naville
- 1997 My Best Friend's Wedding - Kimberly Wallace
- 1997 Keys to Tulsa - Trudy
- 1996 Head Above Water - Nathalie
- 1996 Feeling Minnesota - Freddie Clayton
- 1996 She's the One - Heather
- 1995 The Last Supper - Jude
- 1994 The Mask - Tina Carlyle
- She suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder, and has
publicly admitted she habitually rubs doorknobs before
opening doors to clean them.
- In 2004, a commercial S&M video of Diaz and another girl
torturing another man leaked to the Internet. She made the
video when she was 19. Diaz filed a suit against the Russian
Internet site that distributed the video, but the video file
is now distributed by many porn sites and Peer-to-peer (P2P)
- Diaz has been vocal in her opposition to US President
George W. Bush. Before 2000's election, Diaz once wore a
shirt that said "I WON'T VOTE FOR A SON OF A BUSH!" while
promoting Charlie's Angels on MTV's Total Request Live.
During an Oprah appearance before 2004's election, Diaz said
"Women have so much to lose. I mean, we could lose the right
to our bodies. We could lo--if you think that rape should be
legal, then don't vote..."
- In 2005, Cameron revealed that during her school days,
she was called Skeletor by her classmates. Many tabloids
- Diaz was the host of the 2005 MTV television series
- Maxim Magazine ranked her #22 in their annual hot 100 in
2004, then she ranked #11 in 2005. In 2006 she made the top
10 by ranking in at #7