(born on July 20, 1971) is an Emmy Award
nominated Canadian actress. Sandra Oh is best known for playing
Dr. Cristina Yang in the ABC series Grey's Anatomy and her roles
in feature films, including Under the Tuscan Sun and Sideways.
In 2005, Sandra made People magazine's list of the 50 Most
Sandra Oh was born to Korean immigrant parents in the Ottawa
suburb of Nepean, Ontario, where she attended Sir Robert Borden
High School and founded the Environmental Club there. Sandra
became a ballet dancer and later became interested in acting
while in high school, where she took drama classes, acted in
school plays, and was a member of the drama club. Sandra Oh
eventually studied drama at the National Theatre School in
Montreal, where after she starred in a London, Ontario stage
production of David Mamet's Oleanna. Around the same time,
Sandra Oh also appeared as the title character in the Canadian
television film The Diary of Evelyn Lau, and won the role over
more than 1,000 others who auditioned.
Sandra Oh is known in Canada for her lead performances in the
Canadian film Double Happiness, for which she won the Genie
Award for Best Actress. Her other Canadian films include Long
Life, Happiness and Prosperity and Last Night, for which she
again won a Best Actress Genie. Oh also won FIPA d'Or Best
Actress at Cannes Film Festival for her role in The Diary of
Sandra Oh is most familiar to American audiences from her roles
in the popular films Under the Tuscan Sun and Sideways. On
American television, Sandra is renowned for her current role in
the hit ABC medical series Grey's Anatomy, for which she has won
both a 2006 Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in a
Series and a 2005 Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding
Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series. In July 2006,
she received her second Emmy nomination for her work on the
Sandra Oh had also made several guest appearances on the series
Popular (1999) playing a humanities teacher.
In theatre, Sandra Oh has also starred in the world premieres of
Jessica Hagedorn's Dogeaters at the La Jolla Playhouse and Diana
Son's Stop Kiss at Joseph Papp's Public Theatre in New York.
In 2006, Sandra will be featured in the film The Night Listener
as "Anna," alongside Robin Williams and
Oh remains active in feature film, the critically acclaimed
Grey's Anatomy remains her primary, current occupation.
Sandra Oh and American filmmaker Alexander Payne were in a
relationship for five years, including two years of marriage. In
March 2005, the couple's spokesperson announced their
separation. A month later, Oh filed for divorce.
- The Night Listener (2006) ... as Anna
- 3 Needles (2005) ... as Mary
- Cake (2005) ... as Lulu
- Grey's Anatomy (TV series) (2005-present) ... as Dr.
- Hard Candy (2005) ... as Judy Tokuda
- Mulan II (2004) ... voice of Ting Ting
- Sideways (2004) ... as Stephanie
- Rick (2003) ... as Michelle
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) ... as Patti
- Long Life, Happiness & Prosperity (2002) ... as Kim Ho
- Big Fat Liar (2002) ... as Mrs. Phyllis Caldwell
- The Princess Diaries (2001) ... as Vice Principal Gupta
- Dancing at the Blue Iguana (2000) ... as Jasmine
- Popular (TV series) (1999)... as a humanities teacher
- The Red Violin (1998) ... as Madame Ming
- Last Night (1998) ... as Sandra
- Bean (1997) ... as Bernice Schimmel
- Arli$$ (TV series) (1996) ... as Rita Wu
- Double Happiness (1994) ... as Jade Li
She has also guest starred in the television series Kung Fu:
The Legend Continues, Judging Amy, American Dragon: Jake Long,
and Six Feet Under.